Friday, October 29, 2010

NOT Jim N Nick's Cheese Biscuits


Have you eaten at Jim N Nick's Bar-B-Q?? I think it's a chain restaurant but the food is pretty tasty. I've had their classic pulled pork sandwich, macaroni and cheese, fried catfish sandwich and fish tacos (not all in one sitting mind you!) and they were all quite good. What I LOVE about Jim N Nick's are these delectable little sweet cheese muffins they bring to the table. The first time I tried them, I knew I had to try to make them at home. The recipe is online, a million times over. I checked three or four different version and they were all the same. Thing is, this is NOT Jim N Nick's cheese biscuits. Yes they're yummy. Of course I ate the heck out of them. The taste is extremely similar if not spot on... the problem is texture. These had more of a cupcake or muffin texture and the true Jim N Nick's cheese biscuits are more dough-y. So why am I sharing this recipe? Well, like I said they really are good. What I'm really hoping though is for someone to share a secret or a tip on how to adjust this recipe to be more like Jim N Nick's cheese biscuits. Here's hoping!

Okay so on to what you'll need to recreate the non-JnN cheese biscuits. We have flour, sugar, freshly grated cheddar cheese, 2% milk, eggs, butter and baking powder. I doubled the original recipe in the hopes that it would be so dang tasty, I would have regretted not doubling.


First you'll want to preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Every recipe basically said "mix ingredients and bake" so I mixed the ingredients and completely forgot to take a picture of the batter apparently. I DID however get an action shot of adding the batter to the mini muffin pans.


Double batch made a LOT of mini muffins. I baked them for about 9 minutes.


All these recipes I came across online called for making them in a muffin tin but everyone who's eaten at Jim N Nick's knows that their cheese biscuits are definitely bite size. As I said, these were tasty but they were NOT Jim N Nick's. In hindsight I thought maybe using freshly grated cheese was the wrong way to go because I'm sure a large restaurant uses pre-shredded cheese so that may change the consistency.

Ingredients:

3 cups flour
2 cup sugar
2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cup milk (2% works best) 
2 eggs, beaten well
1 stick of butter, softened
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:

  1. Mix all of the ingredients together except the shredded cheddar cheese.
  2. Once mixed, fold in the cheese. 
  3. Fill mini muffin tin about 3/4 full.
  4. Bake 9 to 12 minutes until done.



No comments:

Post a Comment